Monday, September 26, 2011

It's all the small things

Life has a funny way of teaching us lessons doesn't it?
As hard and as crappy as the last few months have been with my two surgeries and being away from the boys so much it has definitely taught me about appreciation of the small things in life. I think we all get too caught up in life when it's so busy and we forget to look around and smell the roses. Life truly is in the detail.
It's ironic how the things in my day that used to grate at me or that I used to take for granted are now the things that bring so much joy in my day. Simple things like cooking for my boys, bath time, bed time stories and even the twenty million questions I get asked or 'why's' {and that's normally before 9am} don't seem to be as annoying anymore. I guess being pain free now has also made a massive difference to my moods. I'm so much more patient with the kids, less snappy and a much happier Mummy in general.
I've been really lucky that with the timing of school holidays I've spent even more quality time with the boys over the last week and they are loving it. As am I. To wake up their gorgeous smiley faces is so precious and I can look around and say that I truly am one lucky girl. I have so much in my life to be grateful for.

The boys have gone a little Smurf crazy this last week. As I'm sure a lot of little kids have. And big kids too. I think us Mums enjoyed the movie just as much as the kids did. It certainly brought back a lot of childhood memories. I loved those cute little blue guys when I was young.

My boys sporting their Smurf Tattoos!





So with another week of school holidays ahead of us. I'll be taking some time out to reflect and appreciate all the small things. I hope you will be too. It's so easy for someone to tell you to live every day as if it were your last or for people to preach about taking time to smell the roses but until things in your life change or something major happens that you don't have control of you don't tend to listen, you know really listen. I'm very grateful for my massive dose of perspective.

I'm hoping this weather stays as nice as it is right now because we've got big plans for this week. Another trip to the beach, lots of park visits, play dates, lots of swimming and I've promised the boys another trip to the movies to see Lion King in 3D which was Blake's request but I'm not sure how he'll go with keeping his glasses on. Oh and last but not definitely not least my baby turns 3 on Wednesday and we his party is on Saturday.

In the meantime you can find us here.


Photobucket

5 comments:

  1. I so agree with you, Rebekah. Appreciating the 'small things' is what made me start writing down 3 things that I am grateful for every single week. I started doing that nearly 15 years ago and these days it's a linky on my blog on Saturdays. I know life can be bloody tough, but there is always, always something that lifts us. I think it helps to keep the perspective.

    Enjoy the park and the holidays! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Beck, it's so good to hear from you again. And pain free! The magic words. So glad the surgery worked. I totally agree with you about getting perspective. Life's also been showing me that lately. J x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely post and those boys are too cute with their little bulging biceps and tattoos! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can totally see how your perspective would change since the surgery Beck. I think you're bloody amazing struggling on like you were. There is nothing worse than when you're in pain or not feeling well and also being a Mama... to have it all the time like you used to, must have been horrendous.
    So glad you've found a new lease on life and you can now enjoy all those little things, as you deserve to :o)
    We want to see the Smurfs movie too, it looks so cute... I KNOW I will probably get more out of it than the boys, I LOVED the Smurfs as a child ;o)
    The boys look so cute with their little tattoos... Angus also loves tattoos at the moment, except he calls them 'potatoes', hehe, very cute!
    Hope your baby boy has a lovely birthday and party and you all enjoy the rest of the holidays xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy holidays Beck! I am really enjoying them too! I am pleased to hear how well and pain free you are! X

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me some loving....

Related Posts with Thumbnails